Wednesday, March 5, 2008

Brett Favre will finally miss a start

The response to the retirement of Brett Favre has been all over the place. You've got your usual haters (Dr Z) and lovers (John Madden) and all of your Joe Sixpacks in between. I for one have a great deal of respect for Favre and what he has done for the game of football and he Green Bay Packers as a franchise. He is one of the greatest quarterbacks ever to play the game. He'll never quite get into my top five because he also holds the career INT record and lost two crucial playoff games (Eagles & Giants) with horrendous interceptions. That has to count for something. He made so many great plays that we want to ignore some of the horrible plays. But I'm willing to overlook some of that because he hasn't missed a start in 16 years as the Green Bay starting QB. Anyway, I'm done hatin.

But Brett Favre hasn't retired yet. When he files his retirement papers and has a press conference to announce his retirement I'll believe it. But until then I just don't buy it. It's almost as if Brett is just trying to make a point. I'm not sure what that point is but he must have one. This whole situation just strikes me as a knee-jerk reaction by Favre. Something happened to spook him. Now consider these comments made by his agent. He just doesn't seem like he's really ready to hang up his cleats.

For the record I would like Favre to come back for 1 more season. He's done enough for the game to deserve to have his final season appreciated as such during the season as opposed to just looking back on it. I guarantee you he gets a standing O in every opposing stadium he plays in. If he were to "unretire" and lead the Packers to a Super Bowl victory this season he would cement himself as a top-5 QB in history and really throw his hat in the argument for the best QB ever.

Favre Retires



Brett Favre to Greg Jennings saves my Fantasy Football season

No comments: