Friday, May 2, 2008

Now I Feel Pretty Bad

Sorry DC. I ripped on you the other day about your injury on the show "Pros vs Joes" and that was insensitive. Well not really, but today I found out that you need a heart transplant. Seriously. I'm sure that there are numerous cities full of NBA fans (Charlotte, Detroit, Philly, etc) who would have some things to say about that. By which I'm implying that Derrick Coleman was often accused of playing "without heart". I think the main problem with DC was that he was so talented. He could've (coulda, shoulda, woulda,) been a sure fire Hall Of Fame player. His skills were that good. He could've been a player who was a combination of the best parts of Rasheed Wallace and Chris Webber. A complete inside/out player. Never happened though.

DC was such a tease. He would rarely turn it on for a string of games. Don't get me wrong, he played well at times but he was just scratching the surface. But occasionally, for some short bursts within games, he exploded. His body continued to let him down as the seasons wore on and went past. I was very conscious in comparing him to Sheed. Similar size, similar skill set and a similar mindset. My opinion has always been that if you took Kobe Bryant's drive (desire, hunger, passion, whatever you want to call it) and put it into Rasheed Wallace you would have the best player in the NBA. Sheed would be Dirk with defense, rebounding, attitude and leadership. Sheed could play anywhere on the floor, post up anybody, shoot over anybody. Yet he only seems to do it for short stretches at a time. Hence the comparisons.

Anyway, I'm not baggin on ya DC. Alright maybe a little, but that's just the voice of a frustrated fan. You're an OK dude DC and I hope that you undergo a successful heart transplant and live a long and productive life. Two pieces of advice though. (1) If you have any children as athletically gifted as you, please find a way for Kevin Garnett to be their role model, teacher and coach. (2) Do not go back onto a basketball court under any circumstances ever. You're cursed like the Cubs, man. Good luck and best wishes DC. Here's hoping Sheed visits you in the hospital.

No comments: